1. If you plan to fly, look into last minute flights like Southwest’s low priced “Wanna Get Away” Fares. Southwest Airlines is doing a promotion where they offer flights as low as $69. You can find airfare to Los Angeles from $117 and flights to Chicago from $198. JetBlue is offering airfare from $59 but the choices out of Salt Lake are limited. Consider the cost of driving to a nearby airport to get a better deal. If you drive to Las Vegas, you can catch a $59 flight to Long Beach California. Frontier Airlines is doing a promotion right now with flights as low as $49. You can fly to Orlando for $144 or to New York for $132. When booking with Frontier, use code
2. If you plan to drive, consider purchasing gift cards for your trip from Smiths before you leave. You can earn 4x the fuel rewards on the purchase of gift cards which can help you save up to $1 per gallon on gas when you stop to fill up at a Smiths fuel pump. You can find gift cards at Smiths for anything from food to hotels to clothing stores and 100 points=10 cents off per gallon. A $100 gift card purchase would give you 40 cents off per gallon! Also consider a fuel rewards card. Maverick has a gas debit card called the “Black Debit Card” which offers a $.06 cent discount on gas every day, 2x the fuel rewards points, and offers a gas price match program.
3. To find deals on hotels, you can use hotels.com and combine savings from retailmenot.com and ebates.com (for more information on this, see the Smart Shop U tab on our website), and for every ten stays, you get one night free. There are lots of other reward programs like Marriot and Wyndham and you can search for promo codes at retailmenot.com to save even more money when booking online. After calculating the best deal you can find online, call the hotel you want to stay at directly and see if they can beat the price. Hotels often lose money when other sites refer customers and they may be willing to give you the best price if you book through them.
4. For deals on everything, search Groupon and LivingSocial. You can find discounts on restaurants, hotels, entertainment, spa services, and more! The way these sites work is you pay a set amount like $10 for a coupon that is worth $20 at a certain business. You could also pay a set amount for the listed service like a hotel stay. These need to be redeemed within a set time, usually within a few months. You can search the cities you plan to travel to and don’t forget to search for cities along the way if you plan to stop and eat. These websites have mobile apps and you can even buy the deal while on the road and show the coupon from your phone. Another option is to purchase the Entertainment Book for the city you plan to travel. These books have tons of great coupons for restaurants and entertainment. The savings are usually in the form of buy-one-get-one coupons which is like two people getting 50% off!
5. If you can’t afford a vacation, have a Staycation. A Staycation involves doing activities, going to restaurants, and even staying in a hotel, but all within a short driving distance of your home. You may be able to find overnight bed and breakfast and hotel stays in your city for $100 or less. Even an overnight excursion can give you the relaxation of a vacation that you need without the big price tag. You can purchase a Seven Peaks “Pass of all Passes” for around $20 and enjoy tons of free activities like using the water park, Rocky Mountain Raceway, REAL and Bees games, Tracy Aviary and more. Another great option is the Salt Lake Connect Pass for $28-$75 (1 year membership currently available on Groupon), which provide free access to museums, the Hogle Zoo, Thanksgiving Point, This is the Place Heritage Park, the Olympic Park, Discovery Gateway and the list goes on. And finally, use KSL Deals and The City Weekly Store to find discounts on Utah getaways and entertainment and never have to leave Salt Lake.