By: Vincent Mortensen
It’s that time again: 32 countries face off to see who the greatest soccer country in the world is. The 2014 World Cup has the United States pitted against one of the toughest groups in the tournament.
There will be at least three opportunities to watch our boys, by why watch it alone? Here are some great tips how to throw a party on the cheap.
- Skip the masses and stay home – Not only is your home and personal television a much cheaper alternative than going to a sports bar to watch, it’s also more cozy and comfortable for your selected guests. Food costs will also be lower if you decide to entertain from home.
- Have everyone bring a dish – Instead of slaving over the stove for hours preparing all the food, have your guests bring a small dish. Better yet, have them find a foreign recipe from one of the 32 countries participating. You may find you love foods you’ve never even heard of. If your guests are busy and don’t have time to make a dish, collect money and order pizza.
- Don’t Ditch the Dollar Store Décor – If you are the type who enjoys decorating the home for your World Cup party, don’t snub the dollar store. Numerous decorations can be found there at low prices. While you are there, you can pick up a few gifts for the games you will be playing (next tip).
- Play a game within the game – Watching the United States take on some great teams will be quite exciting, but enhance the excitement by playing a free game within the game. Below is a link that has simple, yet fun games.
- Make sure your guests have a good time – While this may not sound like a way to save money, your friends will have a lot more fun at your World Cup party if everyone is having fun vs. going to a sports bar and watching it with hundreds of people they don’t know. If you make sure they have a great experience, it will create lasting memories.
The United States may not have the best soccer team in the world, but you and your friends can still have a great time watching them. Just remember: You don’t need to spend a lot of money to have a good time. Friendship is priceless.
2014 World Cup: United States Schedule
June 16: USA vs. Ghana (4pm mountain time)
June 22: USA vs. Portugal (4pm mountain time)
June 26: USA vs. Germany (10 am mountain time)