It is almost summertime… which means we all want to travel!! It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of the whole trip, but there are many things that everyone needs to know in order to travel a bit smarter according CNN. The first thing I think of when planning a vacation, is money. What is this going to do to my budget? How am I going to afford everything? Here are some tips that will help your whole travel experience!
1. Print everything out. You can’t always rely on internet access, print your itinerary and ticket confirmation and have it handy. Another smart idea is to leave your itinerary with a family member back home just in case.
2. Travel in low season. Although it is so tempting to pick up and leave in the summertime, places like Thailand and India have plenty of sunshine! Also, traveling in low season is almost guaranteed to be a cheaper vacation.
2. Download Share-a-Bill App. This awesome app helps keep track of who spends what when traveling with friends. No more fighting over who bought what!
3. Don’t use traveler’s checks. Although they might be tempting because they are so easy, they are super difficult to cash in, and the fees may not be in your budget!
4. If in a foreign country, try not to use currency exchange places. They are trying to get the most money out of you, especially in airports. You will be safer to use a local ATM.
5. Don’t book domestic flights at the same time as your foreign flights. Instead of flying from SLC to a small city in a foreign country, fly from SLC to the foreign capitol and then book your flight using a local airline. If you book close to the departure date from inside the country, it can save big.
6. Avoid keeping your cash and cards in the same place. Travelers often get ripped off or even pit pocketed. If that does happen, they will only get on or the other so you won’t be stranded with no money on hand!
By: Megan Carson